I’m starting a new series called “Buzzworthy” where I answer questions from friends and Hive Resources readers. If you have a question about your walk with Christ, theology or the Bible leave a comment or email me – and we’ll explore what Scripture says together!
This question surfaced in a recent conversation I had with a friend. She has a family member who has been the subject of her prayers for many years. While the family member call spell out the gospel, for some reason my friend is still unsure of the family member’s salvation.
Only God is the judge of the nature of an individual’s belief in Him. Thankfully, we don’t have role! (Right?) But, we probably all have friends for whom we still pray even though they profess to know God.
In case, you might be struggling with this question too, here are a few clues of authentic faith in 1 John.
Here are 8 ways you can know if you abide in Christ from 1 John:
1. You walk in the light (1:7)
2. You have fellowship with other believers (1:1)
Loving the church is a big theme in John’s epistles and his gospel. Here are some ways John fleshes out this theme:
- Those who abide in Christ love their brothers and sisters in Christ (2:9, 3:13-15; 4:7, 11, 12; 4:20-21).
- Those who abide in Christ lay down their lives for their brothers and sisters in Christ (3:16).
- Those who abide in Christ provide needs for their brothers and sisters in Christ (3:17).
- Those who abide in Christ hear their brothers and sisters in Christ (4:6).
3. You admit you’re a sinner and you confess your sins (1:8-9)
4. You keep God’s commandments (2:3, 5-6)
Here’s what John had in mind when talking about the obedience of a believer:
- Those who abide in Christ do the will of God (2:17).
- Those who abide in Christ practice righteousness (3:10).
- Those who abide in Christ love in deed and and in truth (3:18).
If you have trouble keeping these commandments, don’t get discouraged! John says God’s commandments are not burdensome (5:1-3).